Adventures?

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Disturbing...

So there's this really crazy guy who comes in to shop at my store on a quite regular basis and all my cashiers are terrifyied of serving him because he creeps them out. He's got more than a few screws loose and likes to talk about death a lot.

Until today I've never had a run-in with him, but I had 3 people go home to take care of sick kids today, so I was running a cash register for most of the afternoon and had the pleasure of chatting with our crazy man. He walked up to the counter and before I could say hello he blurts out:

"I'm thinking of walking to work down the centre of the highway tomorrow. I've never done that before I bet people would notice that, I've never done that before."

So I'm thinking to myslef 'ok looney tunes, hang on while I call the mental health clinic down the road", but I know he's always a little crazy so I just tried to explain what I bad idea I thought that was. He dropped the subject, and paid for his sunglasses....on a rather cloudy winter day I might add....and went on his way. As he left I didn't know whether to laguh at his craziness or be genuinely afraid that he might actually be suicidal. I don't know what I could have done since I don't even know the guy's name....but I do know that I will feel largely responsible for having done nothing if I hear tomorrow that a man was hit whilst playing in traffic on highway 2A.

Scary. How do I help a crazy man like this??

2 Comments:

  • At 3:45 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think it is not up to you to help him... His family, friends etc are responsible for him. there is nothing you can do about it really. I have been in such a situation myself a few months ago. And it is really disturbing and also a bit sad, to see those people, acting weird. What you can do, is to talk with the guy. To distract him from his strange thoughts... Good luck!

    Peter

     
  • At 3:50 p.m., Blogger kristen said…

    You could always ask him if he's genuinely thinking of suicide the next time it happens...you saying that isn't going to make him do it...you could also have the suicide hotline number on hand just in case. He could also just be a little weird.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home